Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Another random stream of thoughts

Ok. So I woke up this morning thinking: I spent the greater half of my childhood with one set of standards and etiquette and then spent my teen years in a new millinium trying to adjust to fast paced methods of communication and technology.

My earliest memories include: singing Whitney Houston songs to a karaoke machine, listening to Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men on cassette tapes ( I wasn't allowed to have a radio yet), and writing letters to a cousin who lived out of state.

Now, I can't stay off of Facebook for longer than eight hours. I refuse to say anything on Twitter. I deleted the account when I thought it would be a flop. (Guess I was wrong, huh?) I know that Jackson  being the largest city in Mississippi isn't saying much, so why is social media the only way I can keep up when I'm home for three months?

Entering the third decade of my life... I must say that I almost feel as old as my nickname on my college campus suggests. But it's not because my hobbies include reading, knitting, and preserving summer fruits, but because maybe I can't wrap my mind around the fact that people don't think it's cool to take time to dial a person's number and place the receiver to your ear and talk( using your vocal chord to form words) in case you forgot..now the only people I actually speak to on phones are family and bill collectors.

Can someone tell me that we are not permanently moving into a world where everything is impersonal? And if it happens to be so, I hope some good will continue to live in this world.

1 comment:

candace said...

Love this entry! It seems sometimes in this new generation we get impersonal without even realizing it! With so much texting, Facebook, twitter, and instagram... where is the time?